Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hello from Chicago!



So, we’re finally off! I’m writing this post from the airplane, somewhere between Oklahoma City and Chicago. We flew out this afternoon, will spend the night at the airport hotel in Chicago, and then, the real adventure begins! I admit to being a little misty-eyed when I said goodbye to Will today – it’s a big step to leave him for this long. My McDonald’s girls keep reminding me that it’s probably a bigger step for me than for him – he’ll love his Grandparent time, VBS, and T-Ball games. I know he’ll have a few hard days through at some point this month, but it was definitely the right choice for us that he stayed at home. I miss you, Buggy, but I hope you are having a great time! Have fun at the circus this weekend!
.
A few thoughts after 5 SOLID days of packing for my adoption buddies still on the wait:
  • Really, really, really do EVERYTHING you can ahead of time! I know that we are flying out faster than many families, but the amount of work necessary to get everything together for two adults and a baby is gargantuan! Wow, we travel a lot in the States, so I know that planning is necessary, and I am really an organizer by nature, but I was a little overwhelmed by it all at times this past weekend.
  • Go through your travel documents and adoption papers BEFORE you get your I-600 pre-approval. I had procrastinated on this part, and once the adrenaline started to rush, I struggled to concentrate on all the forms and procedures.
  • Use PackMates/SpaceBags for your clothes, diapers, soft baby gear…anything squishy at all. I’ve never used them for our big trips here in the U.S. before, but I guarantee I will from now on. I bet they saved us at least 40% of the packing space. Translation: fewer suitcases to take, more opportunity to buy stuff to bring home!!! :) Thanks for the tip, Clines and Archers!
  • Make sure to compile all of your prescriptions and fill them early. I already had the prescriptions, but not the medicines. Some need to be taken a week before travel, and that was pretty hard for us to accomplish. I didn’t count on the local CVS needing several days to fill them, since they don’t exactly stock anti-typhoid meds on a regular basis!
  • If you carry gifts for the orphanage or adoption staff, buy things that are squishy and easy to pack. Sounds logical, but I purchased many small leather portfolios as gifts that were a bugger to get in the suitcases!
  • I ordered a Mei Tai Baby Carrier, and tried it out on little Kaden this past week. It was actually not uncomfortable, and I am NOT a baby-carrier person. (Happy Birthday, little Kaden, by the way!) An added bonus: with its baseball fabric, it’s actually pretty darn cute!It does take about 4 weeks to arrive though, so order early. You have my permission to shop!
  • Most of all, plan a little fun for yourselves along the way. We had a really special family time Saturday night when we took will to a fondue restaurant for the first time. He loved it, and it was a much-needed break from the packing and papers to spend a last, great evening just the three of us before we left.

Next post……Hanoi! Bill checked the weather there - it's 87 degrees today - feels like 103 with the humidity. Kinda like OKC in July! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I wish I would have known you were in Chicago overnight... Have a great time & I can't wait to follow along!

Anonymous said...

Paula, it is so much fun to be keeping up with you as you begin this trip to bring David home. I cannot WAIT to read your words of what your thoughts and emotions are as you meet him face to face! I am praying for all of you, and very much so for your time away from Will!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Will told you about his tooth being loose. I told him to be sure to have GrandMom write down the date it comes out. Have a great time and I'll check the blog daily. We love you. Mom

Nana (Deb Stevenson) said...

Well, your on your way to a great and unforgetable experience of your lives! May God be with you every step of the way! Enjoy the adventure!

Jessica said...

So true. We organized all our travel paperwork before we got our G&R date and I am soooooooooooo glad we did. Space bags do rock and were such a live saver on our Vietnam trip. You are funny about your mei tai. I too totally thought I would only use mine for the trip and then never again. Emaline will be 1 this weekend and I still use it all the time when we go places. I am about to start trying to wear her on my back. We'll see how that goes.

Anywho, I wish you the best and am excited to follow your blog while you travel.