Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thoughts for the Day!

I'm in my deep thoughts mood today, I guess I'll share one of my recent ponderings with you. Recently, I heard a speaker say that, "PAIN IS INEVITABLE, BUT MISERY IS OPTIONAL." Now I'm not normally a fortune-cookie philosophy type of girl, but this one really stuck with me. What an interesting thought to realize that I play a HUGE part in my misery - or lack thereof. Hmmmm......... So, I've been chewing on this one for the last couple of weeks, and I've decided that there just may be something to it.

You see, Bill & I made a pact when we began this international adoption process that we were going to enjoy it. Every single bit of it. Now, for many of you who are in the process of adopting, you may right now think that we were either 1) hopelessly naive about adoption, or 2) totally out of our minds. Let me explain a bit, though, and perhaps you'll understand.

I haven't talked much about the road that got us to the place where we are adopting from Vietnam. I struggled with health issues and infertility for about eight years before becoming pregnant with my son. Then, when Will was born, my heart stopped working the way it was supposed to, and I was gravely ill. I eventually recovered, but the doctors informed us that having other biological children was a serious risk to my life, so adoption became our only possibility for being blessed with other children in our family. We experienced a difficult (and ultimately failed) domestic adoption situation prior to deciding to adopt internationally. God always stayed faithful to us, even though we didn't always understand the whats or whys of our lives.

Now, I'll be honest -- infertility stole a lot from my life. It stole many of the choices for my life and my family that most other people take for granted. It stole my health, it stole much of my youth as I was faced with the reality of cardiologists and pills at age 30, it stole way too much money from my bank account. But a few years ago, when Will was an infant, I decided that I was sick and tired of letting it steal my joy. Thanks be to God, who taught me that I did not have to let the possibility of not having another child keep me from enjoying every single moment with Will. So, we played pattycake in doctor's offices, curled up on the sofa to snuggle when I was too sick to go out, and slowed way down so we could smell the roses.

When Bill & I decided to pursue this international adoption, we followed the same guidelines. I mean, why should a little thing like not actually giving birth to our second son rob us of the joy of expecting him? When I was pregnant with Will, I loved every doctor's appointment, every chance to hear his heartbeat, every ultrasound. I loved decorating his baby's room and shopping for his little clothes. I did not love the physical part of being pregnant, but I sure did love the expectation! I loved knowing every day that I was one day closer to him.

Well, I'm doing the same thing this time around! I'm simply loving every day that I am one day closer to my new little one as well. I love to peek at my friends' blogs, see the pictures of their little boys, and imagine what my son might look like. I love learning every bit I can about his country, soaking up the visual images of the sun going down over Ninh Truan or the water flowing down the river in Can Tho. I've paged through every Vietnam travel book they stock at the Barnes & Noble, taking in the pictures of the country, memorizing maps and city names that I can't even pronounce. I've walked the aisles of the Vietnamese grocery store here in OKC, imagining what the smells might be like in my son's hometown. My husband and I have committed ourselves to travel to Vietnam early just to get to see what life there is really like - waking up on a boat in Ha Long Bay, visiting the ancient temples and fortresses of Hue, taking a train from Da Lat to Saigon.

You might ask what started this musing in me. Well, I'll be honest. I have been probably been doing way too much computer surfing lately, reading the blogs, forums, and chat rooms of other adoptive parents. Somehow, I keep stumbling over this overwhelming attitude of MISERY amongst most of my fellow parents-in-wait. There is this sense out there in blogger-land that the time between when you start your adoption paperwork and the time when you pick up your child is some sort of episode of "Adoption Survivor". It's like you try to make it through without too much collateral damage to your soul. Well, I'm here to say that maybe we all need a little more "MISERY IS OPTIONAL" in our attitudes. Now, I'm not saying I'm perfect, or that I have all the answers. Certainly, there are people who have been down this road before me who've handled in with more grace in their little finger than I will ever have in my whole life. But, through my experiences, I have learned a few choices we can make to be a little less miserable, even in painful situations.

So, in true Letterman style, here's my Top 5 Tips for staying sane in the midst of adoption. If others of you, who have gone before us in this process, or who are riding this grand ride with us, have other suggestions, please post them on your blogs as well. Let's make this our week of really encouraging one another with ways to have good thoughts and make misery optional!


My Top 5:

5. Get a hobby! Adoption is a part of your life, not the sum total of your life! While you are waiting for your child, enjoy life! Take a class, make a new friend, travel, read a great book. For sure, enjoy your spouse (if you are married), your other kids (if you have them), and your extended family. Treat yourself to a lazy morning in bed, a long shower, dinner at a beautiful restaurant, and lots of good nights of sleep. (There may be a shortage of these when your sweet little one comes home - remember, it's not all green grass with new children!) Most of all though, be more than your adoption process - keep being you.

4. Be realistic about your expectations. Wow, am I amazed at how upset adoptive families can get with the waiting process, even though their wait is not longer than their agency told them it would be! If they say 6-9 months from LID to referral, it will probably be 6-9 months! Misery will not make it faster!

3. Fall in love with everything about your new baby. For me, all those travel books and trips to Vietnamese restaurant only make me more excited about my adoption process, not more miserable.

2. Get your information from your agency, not from others. I'm guilty of this one, too, so I can speak by experience here. I made myself sort of nuts for a few weeks, thinking that part of our paperwork process should be shorter than it really was, based on information from other families, rather than from the agency. When I finally called the agency to ask about my papers, they were moving exactly at the speed that they should have been. They felt like they were moving at turtle-pace because my perspective was wrong, not because they really were strapped to a turtle!

1. Be thankful! Don't see thankfulness as a consequence, see it as a choice - even a commandment, if you are a follower of Christ. Find something every day good to say about your agency, about your child's culture, about your opportunity to be a part of this process at all. Remember that our children are pure blessings, not owed to us or expected, but loved all the more for the reminder that they came straight from the Master's hand!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -- Philippians 4:6-7

12 comments:

Christy said...

I love this post. I have been following your blog for a while. We are at the same stage as you are in the adoption process. My blog is ouradoptionjourneytovietnam.blogspot.com
Good luck!
Christy Thomas

Julie said...

Paula:

You really have the right attitude. I think we are very lucky to have Dillon as our agency. They have been right on target with all of their time lines. Sure I do get impatient but I think it's human nature.

We too have been in Vietnam culture overdrive. I have just about every book on the retail shelves in my office. I feel so lucky that I have an Aunt from Vietnam and she will be able to share her stories of growing up in Vietnam with our son.

Also I appreciate your courage to talk about your struggles of infertility. It's hard to take off that protective shield and talk about it to the world. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Daniel and Jamie said...

Paula,
This is such a wise post. I am so glad that you are enjoying this part of the adoption journey. It can be stressful, but it shouldn't be miserable. We can't wait to be in that stage again! Praying that you get news of your precious baby boy soon!
Jamie

Jessica said...

Ah you sound like me .... 18 months ago. I have done all of your top 5 but after 18 months there is nothing that will make thi experience enjoyable (kinda like being over due to give birth)then having it be over and having my daughter in my arms.

I would liek to add to your list 1 thing. Educate yourself on Vietnam adoption law and the proccess. Agencies only tell us so much and Yahoo groups tell you some stuff that isn't true. But there are some great recourses out there like adoptionbuzz.org and others. Only when parents are fully educated can the adoption industry be held accountable. Fortunatley Dillon does things on the up and up but there are many agencies that do not.

Erin said...

Sing it Sista! Love this and will refer back when I get "in a mood". It's so much more enjoyable when we aren't so impatient and moany. :)

Heather M. said...

I enjoyed your post as well, but I must add that adopting when you already have a child/children is a very different experience than adopting when you do not have any children at home. I've done both. Years of infertility, praying for a child...we adopted our boys almost 6 years ago. The wait for them was impossible..not knowing if the adoption would go through & not knowing if we would ever have a family was very difficult. This time around is much better. We have 2 children to occupy my brain & I'm less obsessive (although still ready!) for that referral & seeing who our daughter will be. Every person has a different adoption journey & if you adopt again, your experience will be different then too. Just my two cents! Heather M.

Heather said...

Great post! I love the attitude. I fear many will regret their attitudes after the fact. I vented plenty during the process, mind you, but mostly privately. God does call us to have joy in all circumstances - even if we don't like that command! :)

Unknown said...

Wow what an awe inspiring post. I have been truly blessed by the business of life and God's hand in everything that I have not got to savor all the aspects of our son and his birth country but it has also not been an unbearable wait it is so refreshing to see someone post how useful this time preparing can be used for the best.
I am waiting to see the post on referral it has to be close.
Stormy

Dan and Elisabeth said...

Wonderful post! God is always faithful and while at times it is hard to see and understand he always has a purpose and a plan. My hubby and I had a rule that while waiting we were NOT going to let it "beat" us. While we would still allow ourselves to greive for our child we always would (and still do)celebrate the many blessings we have received!!

K said...

You are absolutely right! Great post.

S. said...

I needed this today! Great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Started surfing a bit more tonight after recent VT news. On waiting list with Dillon as well. Thankful for our 2 girls to keep us busy; hoping and praying things continue w/o fall out. So hard for so many!!
Jennifer
www.texastompkins.blogspot.com