Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fingerprints and Other News!

So, we are one step closer to our I-171H today! We had our fingerprints done at the OKC Immigration office. Bill was really excited by how high-tech the process is - definitely not the inkpad of the old '80's cop shows as we had somehow imagined. Everything is done by computer now, and it is pretty sophisticated. I was just so glad that everything went smoothly, and that we finally got this step checked off of our to-do list. Now, we just sit and wait. Literally. There is really no outstanding paperwork left for us to do. We've finished our required reading, our homework assignments, and even tentatively scheduled our CPR classes. So, now we do something else for awhile, until we have our I-171H in hand or until we receive a referral of our child!

A quick update for those of you who've been praying for us and asking me about my leg. I'm feeling better every day, and I'm definitely walking and moving better! I think we've passed the worst of it, and with a little bit of physical therapy, I'll be ready to do some serious shopping in the Saigon markets! No little broken leg is gonna stand between myself and a good bargain!

Since we've got a little time on our hands now, we are escaping the ridiculous heat of OKC and heading to Colorado for a week. We're planning on spending time with Bill's parents & his brothers and their families in the Denver area. Will's most excited about being spoiled by his grandparents, seeing a Colorado Rockies baseball game, and going to the water park. Bill & I are also going to take a night away in the mountains to celebrate our 14th anniversary!

Bill & I both grew up in Colorado, and we cherish the opportunity to get in a little Rocky Mountain High. Somehow, God just always seems a bit closer when you are in the mountains, and I don't think it has anything to do with the altitude. It's just that when you look around at all the surrounding beauty, it's clear that our God is a good God - a creative, loving, artistic, caring God who gave us such a gift of Himself when He created this world. When He created us. I feel the same peace in my heart when I watch my son sleep at night, when I look up and see millions of stars on a clear night, when I walk on a beach, or when I watch an Oklahoma sunset. I guess it's more about God than geography. I still wonder though where I'm going to find that feeling in Vietnam. Maybe on a boat in Ha Long Bay. Maybe in a cafe with my husband in Saigon. Maybe in the eyes of a little girl asking for candy in a small village. My heart thinks definitely in holding my new little boy. There's just some times in life when you really know that God is good.

For those of you who've already travelled to get your little ones, tell us your personal "God is good" moment in Vietnam. For those of you who are playing the waiting game like us, tell us what you think yours might be. It's different for all of us, because we are all as different as our fingerprints. But it'll be there if we're looking for it, that's for sure. If you are one of our family, friends, or just a visitor passing by that's not in the adoption process, feel free to tell us about one of your own "God is good" moments. It's easy, just click the comment button below this post and follow the instructions. Remember though, that anyone can read what you write, so be prepared to share something you aren't afraid for the world to know!

7 comments:

Nadra said...

Paula..

There were so many "God Moments" when we were in India getting Ian. But one of the ones that stands out to me (besides the first moment I held Ian) was the day we were at the US Embassy in New Delhi applying for Ian's Visa. There was a brief interview and at that moment, when Charlie had to raise his hand to take an oath that he was telling the truth, the whole truth, etc....and his tears started to flow down his cheeks and he gently leaned over and kissed Ian's forehead....I knew that God was with us in that moment. God's love was shining through on Charlie's face. Tender and amazing moment for me.

I can't wait to see how many God moments we'll have in Vietnam. My hope is that no matter when or where it is, we take the time to recognize it and thank God for His love. My hunch is that we'll see it with the nannies at the orphanage.

It was great meeting you guys on Sunday evening. Hopefully we can get together again soon.

Blessings my friend!!!

Daniel and Jamie said...

What a great post! Our whole trip to Vietnam was full of God is Good moments. Besides holding Luke and bonding with him I was amazed at the beauty of the country. I think Ha Long Bay will definitely be a God is Good moment for you. It is so beautiful. Our pictures don't do it justice. Sitting on the beach at Ninh Thuan was pretty amazing also.

Erin said...

How the heck did you get 'everything' done at once? :) We have dawdled on the education part of the process since we have a 6 month wait for a referral. Still lots of reading and learnin' to do!

I can't imagine narrowing down spiritual moments in Vietnam to just one. I think God will be everywhere and it will be AMAZING. The landscape, the sky, the water, the people, the children especially. I just think He will be present in every thought, feeling, and sight while we are there. Our hearts will be so very full.

Unknown said...

Ok now you are officially ahead of us !! well I kind of feel guilty for taking this break although it hasn't felt like one. I know I have all the dossier paperwork but I feel like I need a quiet time to really sit down and give it some attention so I will hopefully catch up in the next few weeks. still holding out for being travel mates. All you have to do to see God's fingerprints is start an adoption and watch how he opens every door and leads you through God truly is so good!

Jessica said...

For us it has truely been watching God provide for this adoption. Everytime we have had a payment or expense the money was there. HE has truely opened up some amazing opportunities for us to raise the money. The truely "God is SO good" moment is when we think back to the beging when we had only $1000 and a calling to adopt and to see where we are now. We are waiting to travel and we only need about $3000 more and it's coming in slowly bu surely.

Heather said...

Ironically, Michael and I were both just fingerprinted (by the Sheriff's office) It is for our second adoption (Andrew) and we actually had both kids with us. It's kind of strange to have your fingerprints taken with the kid you are adopting right there with you. We are so behind on his paperwork, but because he is a relative, time lines are a little more lax.

God was so good to us our whole trip, but my dearest memory will always be waking up the morning after our G & R and see Sarah in bed between us just staring at me with the most innocent and inquisitive eyes. I'm not sure how long she had been awake just waiting for us to get up....and who knows what must have been going through her mind. It is a moment that I doubt will ever be duplicated in my life.

Anonymous said...

God is good moments in Vietnam... I agree with the other posts, the whole time was pretty much amazing, but a few that standout when asked the question...
-walking off the plane and seeing/smelling/hearing VN for the first time, just beautiful
-driving up to the orphanage, I was so filled up with joy I couldn't even cry
-first bath with Avi Joy
-seeing people chopping up veggies on the sidewalk then eating them
-praying for people who were offering food to buddha
-praying though anxious moments and God always keeping us strong
-running through the midnight train with Heather to the bathroom
-watching Avi Joy sleep on her side for an hour before I fell asleep too

I seriously could go on and on, but those are a few.
For the next trip to Vietnam for the next child, my hope is to exceed my previous experience there. Take more pics of children/nanny's at orphange, buy more gifts, meet more people, pray more and really fall in love deeper with the homeland of our children.
Natasha