Thursday, July 12, 2007

I Just Can't Help It!


A few months ago when we started our adoption process, we passed a law in our house. No shopping for the baby until we have a referral in hand. Now, I know that a lot of you blogger gals are big-time shoppers. So, before you click that comment button to chew me out, please know that I too enjoy shopping. I really enjoy baby shopping. But, for me, filling my house with baby items without an actual baby takes me quickly to my crazy place. Bill & I thought that it would probably be hard and confusing for Will, too. Thus the "no shopping" law. (Please also note that there is NOT a no-looking law - I've picked out linens, room decorations, furniture...the list continues. But no actual items have been purchased.)

But today I broke the law. Will and I were at Kohl's, and there were soooooooo many cute little baby things. Creepers with puppy dogs and bears and trains. Little soft blue blankets and bibs. All on great summer sales - my achilles heal! My strength was waining. I probably would have bought a ton of clothes if I only had an inkling of what size to purchase. But, I didn't, so I passed through the children's clothing unscathed. (By the way, I also know that we have a trip to Branson, Missouri planned this fall, and they have one of the best outlet malls I've ever visited. They have Carter's, they have Osh Kosh, they have Children's Place. And come September, they will have a lot of my money!)

So, back to the story. Will wanted, of course, to look at the four really messy aisles of toys that they shove into a corner of the Kohl's as bribery to get kids to agree to go shopping with their parents. He was pretty good all throughout our daily errands, so I agreed. As I am standing in the heaps of Dora dolls, Matchbox cars, Thomas Trains, and other assorted toys, suddenly my eyes light up. I notice a darling, brightly colored FisherPrice Tabletop Playmat up on the shelf. It's got nobs, rattles, buttons, mirrors, balls - all those cute things that little hands love to investigate. It folds out to the size of a large placemat or folds up into a 3" X 10" packet - easily packable! It has suction cups to secure it to an airplane tray table! It is all the things I love in children's toys, and it is sitting on the shelf next to a sign that says, "All FisherPrice Toys 50% Off!"

I melted. A girl only has so much will power. And so, for $12.50 after sale (plus the travel game that I had to buy for Will because I haven't figured out yet how to buy for one child and not two!), we are officially moving into "getting ready for baby" mode. A really big step for me. But, finally, one homestudy, a three-inch binder stuffed full of paperwork, one dossier, a couple of big checks, lots of time on the blogs and forum, and a FisherPrice Tabletop Playmat later, I can say that I really think this whole thing is going to happen! We're really going to have a baby in our house!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Welcome to the dark side. LOL!

It starts with one little toy and then the next thing you know you have a closet full of stuff.

Dianna said...

I have an entire 'favorites' file of internet links full of items that 'someday' I was going to buy for our newest daughter. Needless to say, those favorites have been visited a LOT over the last few days! I hope you have wonderful news soon, so that you can enjoy all the shopping guilt-free :)

Nadra said...

Completely understand. I haven't purchased anything...yet...for our new little guy...but it doesn't mean I don't want to. Charlie is the logical one in our family, so he's doing a good job so far convincing me that we need to wait a little while.

Soon Paula...we'll be able to shop!!!

Jessica said...

it does make it more real doesn't it? When we were doingour homestudy my SW actually told me to go buy something for the baby, its good therapy for the wait and it makes it more real. She was right, but of course you have to do what is right for you and only you know that. But it does feel good doesn't it.

Whats funny is we did a lot fo shopping prior to our referral and even so we are now like "oh my goodness, soo much to do, so much to get."

Anywho, I can't wait to hear you have that referral and the shopping spree has begun =)

Dan and Elisabeth said...

Good for you! Shopping really will help with the wait!

Unknown said...

Paula I hate to say it but I am a bargain addict as I type I am on Table rock lake @ our boat I will be shopping once we get vacation and school out of the way although I have hit ebay already oh and Sams for a carseat steal. You have to email or call when you hit Branson My girlfriend and I just spent the night on the boat and hit the outlets first weekend in June. I am shameless I would love to meet you maybe shop the outlets and lunch at Branson landing(very pricey shopping except after Christmas)The TJmaxx here has great stock too.
Stormy